Sunday, April 18, 2010

Basketball on Insanity


This week was my recovery week and boy did I need it! I have been going hard for the first 30 days and have dropped a lot of weight. I have also gotten a whole lot quicker and stronger. How can I tell? Well, during this recovery week, I have decided to get back out and start playing basketball again.

About 11 years ago, when I was stationed at Offutt AFB, NE, I used to play basketball everyday. I was 24 yrs old and could run and jump with anyone. Even though I'm only 5'7, I play like I'm 6'6 and could jump out the gym. I was in pretty decent shape back then. Well, a few months ago, I decided to go play again... Bad idea... I was out of shape and still smoking cancer sticks... Boy, did it really show on the court! I ran, my almost 200 lbs ass, up and down the court and damn near had a heart attack! I haven't been back since; until this week.

Last weekend was the start of my recovery week, so I headed to the gym to play. It was awesome! I was so quick and felt as if I could run forever! Thus, yesterday, instead of doing Core Cardio and Balance for 6th time, I decided to go play ball again. Once again, my body didn't disappoint! But, there are two things that I notice; one good and one bad.

First, the good thing was my strength. I felt more powerful when I went up for rebounds or set picks. I could also fight through picks better and was even quick enough to sometimes jump around them. That is all a credit to how much better my strength and balance has become from my Insanity workouts. The only bad thing is that my stamina isn't where I want it to be yet. I found myself still getting gassed after a few sprints up and down the court. I want to improve that and hope that month two will be the catalyst to improve my conditioning. But, I did notice that even though I would get gassed, my recovery time was short and I was back in it after a minute or so break in action. I also credit this to my Insanity workouts.

I am totally satisfied with my results thus far and excited to see what the future holds for my body transformation. I plan on going hard during month two and working on getting my conditioning where I want it to be. I'm going to tweak my diet and tryout some new supplements, in an attempt to cut some more weight. I also plan on getting out there and jogging on my recovery days. I have my military PT test coming up and want to run my 1.5 mile course weekly, to see where I'm at. I will keep you all posted on what works and doesn't work for me, as I continue on this journey. Recovery week is over... I'm ready for month two!

Late

S

My new belly on Insanity... Recovery week after month 1


Oh... I almost forgot!!!! Here is my Insanity tip of the week...

This week I will leave you with an awesome and healthy alternative recipe to one of my all-time favorite breakfast items... The Breakfast Burrito!


Stan's Heathy Breakfast Burrito

1 Reduced fat flour, multi-grain, or whole wheat tortilla (the larger the better)

1 Raw whole sweet potato grated

1/2 cup Low fat mozarella cheese

1/4 cup Low fat cheddar cheese

1 cup Eggbeaters/egg white product

2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter LIGHT

1/2 cup Chopped onion

1/2 cup Chopped fresh tomato

Pinch of salt

Pinch of pepper

Hot Sauce, Jalapenos or Red Pepper Flake to taste

Nonstick Nonfat cooking spray


Preparation:

1. Place a skillet over low heat and spray with nonfat cooking spray.

2. Add the grated sweet potato to the pan along with the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light

3. Add onions immediately and stir until potatoes and onions are soft.

4. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.

5. Add eggbeaters.

6. Add hot sauce, Jalapenos or red pepper flake to taste and mix together until cooked (Note: Be careful here... Don't add this ingredient if you don't like spicy foods... I like it hot!!!)

7. Mix in chopped tomato near the end. (Note: You could also add a low fat salsa if you like... But I use fresh tomatoes)

8. Heat tortillas in microwave for 30 sec and add egg mixture down the center of the tortilla.

9. Add 1/4 cup low fat mozarella cheese and 1/8 cup cheddar over the egg mixture and fold tortilla into a burrito

Yields about 2 Burritos

Nutrient value:

1 Burrito:

350 calories

Fat: 12.1g

Saturated Fat: 5.1g

Cholesterol: 18mg

Sodium 668.8mg

Carbs: 28.6g

Fiber: 9.9g

Protein: 27.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment