Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Moment of Grace

I watched the results show of So You Think You Can Dance tonight. It was awesome as usual. I do sometimes which there would be less recapping and more explanation of why the judges choose to send home the people they send home. I loved Kristin Chenoweth as a judge. She was entertaining and had a lot of what I would call color commentary about the dancers and dances.
One of my favorite parts of each results show is the opening dance number. It's always amazing to me to see what the group of dancers is going to do. The choreographers always seem to push the dancers in new ways.
Tonight's results show was a special treat for me. Dancers from the AXIS Dance Company performed. AXIS' mission is:
  • to create and perform contemporary dance that is developed through the collaboration of dancers with and without disabilities
  • to teach dance and educate about collaboration and disability through community education and outreach programs
  • to promote and support physically integrated dance locally, nationally and internationally
I have never seen anything like this before. It was absolutely beautiful. I could not believe that the dancer in the wheelchair was doing what he was doing with such grace and strength. It stretched my understanding of dance and broadened my understanding of dance.
For me, this was a moment of grace. God both allowed me to see this beautiful dance and celebrate it as art. God also pushed me outside my pre-conceived notions of who can and cannot dance. I've always loved the way Glee has integrated the character of Artie, who is in a wheelchair, on the show in their dance numbers. However, watching the AXIS dancers moved my heart and spoke to my soul in deep and abiding ways. I am grateful that the producers of So You Think You Can Dance allowed these dancers to share their performance with the world.
To learn more about AXIS, check out their website at: http://www.axisdance.org/index.php
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment