Monday, August 29, 2011

Cleaning

My friend Mari is coming to visit. In preparation for her visit, I spent some of this last weekend doing some extra cleaning in my apartment. After doing this, I realized my apartment really needed some extra TLC. While I try not to let it get too out of control, there are just some things I don't like to do.
One task I really hate is scrubbing the bathtub. For me, this is a pain in the neck. I aways have a hard time getting my tub really clean. There always seems to be gunk in the grout that won't come out or soap scum that seems to be fused with the tub itself. Thankfully, we have really good water in Hamilton and there is not a lot of lime or iron in it. In one parsonage I lived in, it took about two days for the toilets to turn orange from all the iron in the water.
In addition, I think I would like my life's motto to be "I don't do windows." Mostly I just keep the blinds closed so I don't have to see how bad the windows are. I don't know how they get so dirty. I could understand it if I had kids putting their hand prints all over them. However, it's just me and I try not to mess with my windows. Cleaning windows when they streak and smear drives me crazy.
I think the household chore I hate the most is dusting. This task just never seems to be done. As soon as something is dusted more dust seems to come from other parts of the world and gather on all of my stuff. I don't know where dust bunnies come from but I wish they would keep on hopping away from my apartment.
One thing about having company is that it does give me an opportunity to do some of this extra cleaning. When it's just me, I don't really care all that much about dust or dirty windows or soap scum on the bathtub. However, when I know someone else is going to see these things, I want to avoid having my guests run screaming from my apartment for fear they may get eaten by a giant dust bunny or need a tetanus shot after they use my bathroom.
I'm grateful to have most of the straightening done already. I still need to do some more dusting, clean the kitchen really well and give some more attention to the sliding glass door. I know it won't be perfect. I also know that Mari won't really care. But I care because for me this is a part of offering good hospitality. So, I'll do my best and keep on cleaning in preparation for what I know is going to be a great weekend.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment