Sunday, April 17, 2011

Twelve Miles

Well, my friend Karen and I planned to walk 13 miles today but we came up short. We were both pretty tired and had circled around back near her home. Karen suggested that we stop at twelve and I didn't argue with her.
I am sore and very tired. I took a three hour nap this afternoon. I wish we would have walked the full thirteen just so I know that I can do it but I am hoping that the adrenaline of the day of the marathon will push us on towards the finish line.
While I am grateful that I am doing this half-marathon, I am ready for this training period to be over. It seems to consume my life. Not that I have much of a life but on the days that we walk long distances, I am not good for much of anything. I am glad that I have a vacation on the day after walking the half marathon.
I have read about and heard others talk about the endorphin high they get from exercise. I must be made differently. I thought that doing all of this exercise in training for the half marathon would get me into better shape and help me to like to exercise more. However, the entire time we were walking today I kept thinking about getting back home and laying down. Evidently my body produces no endorphins and is immune to the benefits of exercise. I am as fat as ever and I feel terrible. I still think I am not up to full speed after being sick a few weeks ago.
I'm grateful that next weekend we only have to walk six miles. I'm also grateful we only have two more weeks until the half-marathon. I'm pooped.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment