Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reaching Out to More Families

I continue to ask for your prayers for our recruitment efforts at TriState Habitat for Humanity. I am really feeling some pressure as grant deadlines approach. I also am trying hard to think outside the box when it comes to family recruitment. I know families are out there, I need to meet them where they are. I'm hoping God will give me the wisdom to find them.
We just sent out another direct mailing to people living in Middletown, Ohio. Middletown has had an active group of Habitat volunteers for many years and has built many houses. The challenge is that Middletown is a typical Midwestern city that is in decline. The population of Middletown has decreased 5.6% in past decade. Once home to a lot of industry, many jobs have left Middletown for the sunbelt or other countries. According to the 2010 US Census, 12.6% of the city's population live in poverty.
There is definite need in Middletown, it's just finding families who are willing to do what it takes to become Habitat Partner Families. I am really hoping that this mailing (targeted to renters in the urban center of Middletown) will reach some families who are willing to take the risk to make their dreams come true.
Tomorrow, I will get to witness one family's dream come true. We have a closing for a family whose new home is located in Batavia, Ohio. I am really looking forward to it.
It's late and I need to get to bed. Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment