Monday, October 25, 2010

First Night of Writing Class

I just got home from my first night at my creative writing class. I LOVED IT!!!! It was so amazing to meet others who like me need the discipline of a class like this to help them move forward in their writing. As I wrote earlier, I was a bit anxious about the class. I was worried about sharing my writing with others. However, once I was in the class and we begin sharing what we had written in class in our small discussion groups, it was truly an amazing time of grace for me. I got to hear other people's stories. I got to share my thoughts and ideas.
I am so thankful that I signed up for this course. It is something that I have thought about for a long time. Now just felt like the right time to take the leap of faith and do this. It just all feels right to me. The instructor is great. My classmates are wonderful. God has truly blessed me for such a time as this.
Tonight we did five brief writing exercises in class. I didn't think I could do it but I did it. The first one we were supposed to write three pages of whatever came to our minds. The next three were five minute writing exercises in which we were given a brief phrase to start us off. For example, the first one was "They had nothing to say to each other . . ." The last exercise was to write a six sentence paragraph and not use the same word twice. This was by far the most difficult one for me. I don't know if I was tired and ready to go home or I had writer's block. Maybe it was a little of both. What I ended up writing surprised me. I received good feedback from my discussion group about it.
If it's okay with you, I'd like to share that six sentence paragraph with you. So, here it goes . . .

Writing helps me to feel alive. Each time I do it new understandings about myself and the world are revealed. It's my legacy. There is power in words that stands eternal. Messages passed down to future generations. They remind others Kevin was here.

I hope to be able to share more of my writing assignments with you in the future. However, right now, I'm headed off to bed. It's been a long day.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment