Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On Writing

The text for my creative writing course is Stephen King's book On Writing. I have read some of King's novels and have seen many movies based on his writings. I like the way he writes. I think that he is able to communicate something about life and about those things we fear in some powerful ways. On Writing so far is interesting. King reveals stories from his life and how important writing was to him from a very young age. He also talks pretty honestly about his family and shines the light a bit onto their dysfunction. However, King also shares some very wonderful moments in which his family expressed both respect and love for one another.
I don't know how all of the first section of this book is going to help me or inspire me in my own writing. I'm only sixty pages into the book. It's a pretty easy read, though. I am hoping that I can take away something from it that will help me to improve my skills as a writer. After all, there's got to be something that an author who has sold millions of books can teach others. I look forward to learning that lesson.
Thankfully the power was back on at the Habitat office today. Actually, today wasn't too bad. I felt like I accomplished some things. It was also really cool to have my friend Karen working in the office today. She's with us this week while our receptionist recovers from surgery. I'm grateful for her willingness to help us out in this way.
I am looking forward to tomorrow evening and another class for our Habitat Partner Families. This is the second class in a series of classes on home ownership. Last week's class went well and I'm sure that this week will go well also. They had some homework to do. So, we will see how that went for them. It's always great to spend time with the Partner Families and answer their questions and offer them support during their Habitat Partnership process.
I hope you are having a great week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment