Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fiddler on the Roof

As I type this blog post, it is way past my bedtime. It's about 11:45 PM and I am going to have a hard time getting to sleep tonight because I just got back from a wonderful performance of Fiddler on the Roof at the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Cincinnati.
Attending this play was not on my agenda for this evening. I was invited by one of our wonderful Habitat volunteers late this afternoon. She has season tickets along with a group of friends. One of her friends was not able to attend and was willing to give the ticket to anyone who would take it. I didn't hesitate when offered a free ticket to a Broadway musical.
Amazingly, I have never actually scene a stage production of Fiddler on the Roof. I have seen the movie before a long time ago but that's it. I really loved tonight's performance. It was great to hear the songs that I know well like Tradition, Matchmaker, Matchmaker, and Sunrise, Sunset. I also loved the dancing. The dance sequence in the wedding scene were wonderful. The bottle dance was superb.
I found this little bit of trivia on Wikipedia about the origin of the title:

The musical's title stems from the painting "The Fiddler" by Marc Chagall, one of many surreal paintings he created of Eastern European Jewish life, often including a fiddler. The Fiddler is a metaphor for survival, through tradition and joyfulness, in a life of uncertainty and imbalance.

I thank God for the opportunity to experience this evening of entertainment. I'm so glad I was able to go. It was truly a blessing. To life!
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment