Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Night

It's Oscar Night. I love movies but I always find myself really disappointed with Oscar night. I'm often disappointed by who ends up winning. I sometimes wonder if members of the Academy really even watch the movies for which they vote. There have been some very strange choices over the years as well as some glaring omissions in the nominations process.
Tonight I'm finding myself disappointed by the entire show. I'm not so much disappointed by who is winning but by the show itself. I know it's hard to make the presentation of little statues exciting, but for heavens sake, these people are in the entertainment business and they can't even read a teleprompter with any sign that they've been through a rehearsal or that they have basic reading skills.
I'm also really embarrassed for the producers of this year's show. It feels like these folks just decided it was okay for everyone to do improvisation and not bother with a script or organization. The transitions and quality of entertainment are poor at best. It feels like everyone just wants to get onto the after parties. I want to hunt down at the hosts and tell them that they are not funny and should stick to their day jobs. The humor is awful. I almost thought it was going to be good with the opening skit in which they inserted themselves into the best picture nominees and then it went down hill from there.
The breath of fresh air was when Billy Crystal came on. In his brief time on the screen, he brought a magic that is completely lacking. I really miss him as the host of the Oscars. Even the long deceased Bob Hope was funnier than the live hosts. I'm not saying that I could do a better job of hosting the show but, good heavens, there must be someone in Hollywood who could do better than what's being aired tonight.
Okay, I got that off my chest. I appreciate you taking the time to read my rantings.
I hope you have a great start to your week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment