Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Great Evening

Tonight was a great evening. I got to do one of my favorite things. I got to spend the evening with some of our Habitat Partner Families. We had the last session of our Home Ownership Classes that our Partner Families are required to attend as a part of their education program. We talk about home owner's insurance, home maintenance, budgeting for emergencies, and neighbor relations.
Tonight was a special treat. One of our home owners who has completely paid off her home came to the class to tell her story and answer questions that our Partner Families may have. It was an very inspirational for me. She told of how much becoming a home owner has impacted her life and the lives of her family members. She talked about her Habitat Partnership experience and things that she learned along the way. I found myself getting a bit tearful when she talked about the first time she walked into her house after she had closed and she realized that she owned her home. She now had a safe, decent, affordable home in which to live with her family. It was a life-changing experience for her and she continues to support Habitat and tell the story of what God has done and is doing through Habitat to serve families in need.
While this has been a very long day, as I drove home tonight, I found myself energized and renewed by my time with our Habitat Partner Families this evening. It reminded me once again of why I do what I do. I have the honor and privilege of journeying with the poor as they seek to realize their dream of home ownership. It doesn't get much better than that for me. I continue to thank God for leading me to this place at this time. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment