Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Trip to Oxford

I went to Oxford, Ohio today for a meeting. This was a pre-construction meeting for one of our Habitat Partner Families. We will soon be starting their home and the purpose of the meeting is make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Oxford, Ohio is the home of Miami University. The University had its commencement last weekend and so the campus was pretty quiet. It was strange to drive through campus and not see any students walking around. Usually it takes me a long time to drive through campus because I have to watch for all of the pedestrians. It was almost like a ghost town today.
I am really excited about this family's house. It will be the first home built in what we are calling Reckford Woods subdivision. It's named after Jonathan Reckford, the CEO of Habitat for Humanity International. There will be twenty homes in the subdivision on two streets: Carter Court (named after President Carter who is probably Habitat's most famous volunteer) and Fuller Way (named after Habitat for Humanity founder Millard Fuller).
Reckford Woods has been a dream for many years of TriState Habitat for Humanity and it is finally becoming a reality. It was so exciting to drive by the site today and see the crew working on the foundation. I know many of the volunteers wondered if this day would ever come. It's an exciting time in the life of TriState Habitat for Humanity and truly an honor to be a witness to what God is doing in our midst.
As I drove back from Oxford, I found myself filled with excitement about this new endeavour. I have been working hard to try to find families who want to live in Reckford Woods. I ask for your prayers for that. I know they are out there. I just need to figure out how to reach them. I also ask for your prayers for this first Partner Family who will be living in this subdivision. They will be pioneers in many ways. All eyes will be on them and they will help to build this new community over the course of many years. They will soon be moving from poverty housing into a new safe, decent, affordable home build with their sweat equity.
I continue to thank God for the opportunity I have to work with such wonderful staff, volunteers, and families. I thank God for the leading me to this place at this time in my life. It is truly a blessing.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment