Monday, May 16, 2011

Quick Flicks 2: Barney's Version

Starting off, I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!! Now, I saw this movie at the Bookshelf on my dad's birthday, and it was pretty sweet! Me and my dad ate at the Ebar (delicious!)... okay in all honesty we only really ate some French Fries, but who doesn't like Fries? They were hot and steamy, "fantastical" (some Shakespeare, 8c?) and everything a frie should be. Then we went and saw the movie. (Big SURPRISE!) At first I had a panic attack, "oh no, is this film going to be about this old dude and his life accomplishments? Am I going to be super confused by the end?" But after 5 seconds of that I got right into the movie and loved it. It really brought up the whole controversy we talked about in Geography class, when the old get too old, what do we do with them? Once Alzheimer's hits those poor souls are basically just empty shells, anyways. They can't remember anything or anyone, they are abandoned and imprisoned in a "home". Their dignity is lost, being forced to wear diapers since they can't control bodily functions. If I reach that part of life, please just shoot me and put me OUT OF MY MISERY!!! They are just shells, really. Maybe becoming themselves for 5 seconds, but slipping back into a dark abyss soon after. Their family abandons them, and it doesn't seem worth it to live forever. Your friends and spouses gone.

So, while all that in the present is going on it has brief flash backs of the past, of his first second and third wives.
I don't think I'll be spoiling anything so... The first wife kills herself because the baby she was about to have dies, and it turns out NOT to be Barney's child, but his best friend's kid. She sends him a note saying "I need You, I'm sorry." but his "best friend" tells him when it's too late, and she's already gone. A good character, but seriously freaked me out (it was early in the movie). His first wife was played by Anne Hathaway.
His second wife was a rich... which with a consonant... And she ended up messing around with (guess who...) his best friend. At this point they get really drunk and end up having a fight, and start playing around with a gun. Barney tries to shoot him but just shoots air, but his friend who wants to go for a swim (Boogy) falls looking like he was shot. His body disappears for the longest time and there's this whole conspiracy theory going around that he really did kill Boogy. I'll let you know he didn't, but in case you want to watch it for yourself I won't tell you how he died.That is the end of wife number two.
Wife three is sweet and caring and they both are definitely made for each other. They have two kids, a boy and a girl. They do end up splitting after 20 years... though. :( One bad choice and... Sad...
As you can guess Barney does get Alzheimer's, and dies shortly after he is diagnosed.

It was a pretty amazing movie, and since most of you play Blackoffs you should be fine with the more graphic parts. I.e. the first wife and her wonderful dead... blue body.

No comments:

Post a Comment