Friday, July 30, 2010

An Amazing Woman

I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately through my Netflix subscription. Tonight I watched a PBS documentary on Eleanor Roosevelt. Wow! I had no idea what an amazing woman she was. I have read more about FDR and I knew through my readings that Mrs. Roosevelt was the "eyes and ears" of her husband when he was President. I also knew that she had been a voice for the voiceless in society, but I had no idea how much influence she had on so many different social programs during the Great Depression. I also knew that she was a part of the newly formed United Nations after World War II but I had no idea what a key role she played in helping to develop the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
I love history and this documentary was a real treat. I love learning about people who made a difference in their time and Eleanor Roosevelt is a prime example of this kind of person. Born into great privilege, she could have just lived a care-free life. Instead, she used her influence to challenge the status quo.
I also am amazed that while Eleanor Roosevelt had such compassion for so many people in need, in some ways she had a very difficult time expressing love and affection for those who were closest to her. At the same time, she marched to the beat of her own drum and developed very close relationships with a diverse group of people.
Right up until the end of her life, she stood against oppression. I loved the story described in this documentary in which she defied the threats on her life by the KKK and flew to Tennessee to teach people about civil disobedience in the face of segregation. She was a shrewd politician and a wonderfully charismatic figure. I'm ever grateful that I got to watch this documentary. I only wish that my life would have a tiny portion of the impact that Eleanor Roosevelt's life did.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment