Tuesday, July 27, 2010

O Me of Little Faith

I had a wonderful experience today in my work with Habitat for Humanity. One of the things that I have been charged with is educational classes to help our Partner Families obtain the tools they need to become successful home owners. I have been worried about how I was going to accomplish this. Our service area is so huge - eight counties in three states - I was having a hard time finding anyone who would work with us give all of our families the same quality education. So, in the face of this seemingly overwhelming task, I have done what I do best - be anxious.
Today I met with one of our volunteers who works with an agency that has helped some of our families in the past with financial education. This is the area I was most worried about. I didn't think that she or her agency would be willing to work with families throughout our entire service area. I was wrong. Instead, she was more than willing to help and even had a plan on how we could best serve families. I sat there listening to this volunteer talk about what she has done and what she would like to do and I nearly started to cry. I wanted to lunge across her desk and hug her; however, I refrained and just thanked her for her willingness to serve our families in this way.
As I drove back to the office, I was filled with joy and excitement. I couldn't believe what had just happened. God had answered my prayers. God had provided and made a way when there seemed to be no way. I had put off meeting with this volunteer for several weeks because I thought I knew how she would respond to the needs of our families. I didn't think she would want to do what we wanted or needed. I was wrong. I was so wrong. I didn't see it, but I was actually the one holding up our family education program because I was didn't trust in God's boundless providence. It was a humbling lesson about faith and trust in a God Who loves me and provides for all our needs.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment