Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Servant's Heart

I long to have the heart of a servant. I enjoy helping people. I really have a passion for working with the poor. I love the work I do with Habitat for Humanity. However, I sometimes wonder if I am really being the best servant I could be. Sometimes I am so busy with all kinds of tasks, I don't take the time to really listen to the people whom I say I want to serve. Sometimes I lose patience with people and want to fix them rather than appreciating them for who they are and the gifts that they have to share. Sometimes I get a bit full of myself and think that I know what's best for people rather than respecting their dreams and life goals.
I long to have the sincere heart of a servant. I want to do what God wants and not what I want. I want to serve because God calls me to serve rather than to experience some warm and fuzzy feeling I get from serving. I want to serve out of love and not self-interest. I want to serve with people and not just do for them. I want to be humble so that my service points to Jesus and not Kevin. I want to be filled with compassion even when I'm tired and feeling empty. I want to embrace a life of servanthood in all that I do, in how I use my resources, and in how I treat others. Oh, how I long to have a servant's heart!
I hope and pray that you will also discover the joy of servanthood in your life. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment