Saturday, July 31, 2010

FDR

I watched another Netflix documentary today. In keeping with yesterday's theme, I watched one about President Franklin Roosevelt. It was very well done and helped me to understand more about this amazing man and his times.
He definitely overcame great obstacles in his life. His optimism helped him to lead the country through the depths of the Great Depression and World War II. While he never had use of his legs after coming down with Polio, he did not allow this to stop him. In many ways, the obstacles of his life strengthened him and helped to call America to greatness in the world.
He was a man with a very healthy ego who could fill a room with his personality. He was also a man who had deep personal flaws. He was able to offer help to so many people who suffered and yet he really was by most standards not a very positive husband or father. Yet, out of this complicated and frail human being, came great strength.
It made me stop and reflect about my own life. The things that I face are nothing compared to the challenges that FDR faced, yet I am quick to whine about trivial things. I wish I had this kind of leadership ability. I wish that I could cast the kind of vision that he did and remind the country and the world that the only thing to fear is fear itself. After watching this documentary, I feel inspired and blessed. I am grateful to be a citizen of such a great country that produces leaders like FDR who proclaim freedom and liberty to the world and are living examples of the resilience of the American spirit.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment