Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Meal with Jesus

We celebrated Communion at the church I attended today. As I was preparing to receive Communion, I realized that it has been a while since I received Communion. I have been visiting various churches and I have not visited one for a while that was celebrating Communion.
This was a welcomed experience for me. There's something about partaking of the bread and the cup that bring about a kind of connection with Jesus that I can get in no other way. The worship bulletin said "Holy Communion (A Meal with Jesus)". I like that description. It is not just a symbolic thing that I do out of a sense of tradition. It's an act of faith that mystically draws me into deeper relationship with the One Who redeems and sustains me. I meet Jesus face to face when I participate in this sacrament. I am reminded of his broken body and his blood that was shed. I remember his great love for me and for all the world.
I'm grateful that I had the chance to share a meal with Jesus today. It was a time to confess and remember. It was a time to be emptied out and filled up. It was a time to connect with fellow Christians. It was an act of faith and a reminder of the gift of grace. It was a meal that always seems to satisfy my hunger in new ways.
I hope you have had a good weekend. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment