Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Living with the Scriptures

If you remove the yoke from among you, the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil, if you offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted, then your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noonday. The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your needs in parched places, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail. Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to live in.

- Isaiah 58:9b-14, NRSV


I'm preparing to preach this coming Sunday at my sister Stacey and brother-in-law Rob's church. I am honored that I would be invited to preach and I really want to give my best to God and to this congregation that is in the midst of transition.
I've decided that I'm going to preach on the lectionary reading from Isaiah 58:9b-14. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to say just yet. I'm in the process of what I call "living with the Scriptures". Each day I read through the passage and then I pray that God will reveal something about the application of this passage to life and to the congregation to whom I will be preaching. I have been focusing on the lines from verse 13: "You shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to live in."
I really have no clue yet why that those words seem to stick out to me. I do find the metaphors powerful. I think my work with Habitat follows in this vein. Habitat seeks to repair the breaches in families and communities by eliminating poverty housing. We also seek to restore the streets by building simple, decent, affordable housing for the least of these in our world. However, I'm not sure yet if this is the direction that God wants me to go. I'm still praying about it. I'm still living with the Scriptures.
I will let you know as things progress. I would appreciate your prayers as I seek to be open to God's leading and God's message for this congregation. I also ask that I be able to put Kevin's agenda aside and simply speak God's Word with boldness and humility.
Thank you for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment