Monday, August 16, 2010

Groundbreaking

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I attended a groundbreaking service for a new Habitat for Humanity house for one of our Partner Families. The house is located in Rising Sun, Indiana in Ohio County. It will be only the second house that TriState Habitat for Humanity has built in Ohio County.
The house is located on a high bluff that overlooks the Ohio River. The house will have a beautiful view of the river valley below. It was such a great day of celebration to participate in the groundbreaking. For the first time, I actually got to help break the ground. I got to dig up some of the ground with shovel. It was pretty exciting for me and I was honored to represent the TriState Habitat for Humanity staff in this way and support this family as they seek to fulfill their dream of home ownership.
The TriState Habitat for Humanity is so huge - eight counties in three states. It's amazing to me that we serve such a diverse region. I love it that we build houses in the small towns, inner-cities, suburbs, and rural locations. It's so wonderful to experience the hospitality of the various communities which we seek to serve.
There were some representatives from local congregations in Rising Sun who seemed really excited that we were working in their area. They talked about how they might help with construction and other volunteer roles. It was exciting to know that we are re-introducing Habitat to a community that may not have had a chance to partner with us for a quite some time. Of course, being a Hoosier by birth, I am always proud to know that we are serving families in Indiana. I was filled with joy as I joined the future home owner and her children to turn over those first shovel fulls of earth. I continue to give God thanks and praise for the honor of serving with Habitat for Humanity.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment