Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Preaching Invitation

I have been invited to preach at my sister Stacey and brother-in-law Rob's church later this month. I am not sure what Scripture I am going to preach on yet or what I will say. It's been quite a long time since I last preached in a church.
I think I'm feeling a little anxious about it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I want to do a good job since it's Rob and Stacey's church. I certainly don't want to say or do anything to embarrass them.
Secondly, the last time I preached I had some very negative feedback from someone in the congregation of the church at which I preached. When I asked others who were there if they agreed with this criticism, the response was less than positive. It really kind of hurt my feelings and also felt like I was back in the local church again serving as the pastor where people freely criticized my preaching, what translation of the Bible I used, and how I dressed. I have always tried to speak God's Word from my heart but I think sometimes Kevin gets in the way.
So, I'm asking for your prayers as I prepare my sermon. I know this church is going through a lot of transition. I know that God has some important things to say to this congregation at this time in their history. I know God will give me the words to say. I just want them to be God's words and not Kevin's words.
Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment