Friday, August 6, 2010

Strange Day

Today was a strange day at the office. Of the ten staff members that work at least part-time in the TriState Habitat for Humanity office, I was the only one in the office. There were supposed to be two of us in the office but our receptionist called in sick. So, it was just me. This is not a good thing. I really stink at managing phone calls when all three lines are ringing at the same time. I also sound like I have no clue what is going on (which I don't) when people call to ask questions about various things. If it isn't something I deal with regularly, I don't even know how to refer people.
I did get out of the office and away from the phones today to attend a recruitment event for families who might be interested in applying for our home ownership program. It was a great meeting after I found it. It was in my new home town of Hamilton, Ohio. However, I really don't know Hamilton all that well yet. I went to the building downtown where I thought it the meeting was being held and went to a few different floors and asked a lot of questions only to discover that my meeting was in a totally different building. The building I needed to be in was about two blocks away and up three flights of stairs. I guess it was good to get my exercise and I'm glad it wasn't as hot as it's been. However, I was really sweaty by the time I arrived at the right building.
My meeting was held in the historic old courthouse in Hamilton. I was expecting it to be a bit more historically preserved than it is. I guess Butler County must be in a lot of financial trouble because the courthouse really needs a lot of help. It could be a beautiful building if it was given a little love and care. Unfortunately, it is really not in good condition. It smelled really old and was very dark and looked kind of abandoned. That part was sad. The exterior is an eclectic mix of architectural styles. (see photo). It's not my favorite county courthouse but I guess it is visually interesting.
My meeting was really good. I was able to answer questions and help get the word out about Habitat. I love it when I see people get excited about the possibility of owning their own home.
I am now in full weekend mode. I hope to be able to something fun. I know Netflix will be on my agenda. I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment