Thursday, September 23, 2010

Body Checking

I work in a large office building that has several office suites in it. Each business suite is accessed via a long hallway that runs almost the entire length of the building. There are restrooms at either end of the hallway. There are no restrooms in individual office suites. This sometimes makes for brief waits before using the restrooms and it also creates opportunities for interesting interactions with employees from other office suites. Today was no exception to this for me.
I was walking down the hallway and a woman walked out the door of her office suite into the hallway. She was not really paying attention and I happened to be walking right by her office door. I had to swerve out of her way and hugged the wall opposite her office door so that she wouldn't run into me. Still, she brushed up against me. When she saw me, she apologized and said; "I'm sorry. I didn't see you." She then said, "You know, I'm from Canada and we play a lot of hockey and I guess I'm just used to all those body checks." I just chuckled politely and went on my way down the hallway. I had no clue what she was talking about.
When I got back to the Habitat office suite, I asked my supervisor, "What's a body check?" She kind of looked at me and just chuckled. I told her that I thought is had to do with hockey but it might be that this Canadian woman was inviting me out on a date or something. Given my complete lack of interest in sports, I had no idea. Then my supervisor told me that body checking had something to do with blocking or shoving people around in hockey. I guess I was relieved.
However, I was still curious so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Body checking - Using the body to knock an opponent against the boards or to the ice. This is often referred to as simply checking or hitting and is only permitted on an opponent with possession of the puck. Body checking can be penalized when performed recklessly. Charging, hitting from behind and boarding are examples of illegal hits, due to their dangerous nature and increased likelihood of causing serious injury. In women's hockey, any body checking is a penalty and is also usually not allowed in amateur leagues and leagues with young children. Some intramural university leagues do not permit body checking, in order to avoid injury and incidents of fighting. "Leaning" against opponents is an alternative to body checking but, if abused, may be penalized for holding.

So, there you have it. Now you know in case you didn't.
I do know one thing I learned: beware of Canadians in the hallway. I know I'm going to try to avoid them.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment