Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Visit to the Dunes

When I was in Indiana over the weekend, I suggested to my friend Mari that we take a drive over to the Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore. While I lived so close to this wonderful part of God's creation for so many years, I guess I took them for granted. After living in Tennessee for over three years, I really missed seeing the wonder that is Lake Michigan.
On Friday evening, we drove over to the lake shore and rode through some of the small lakeside communities. We stopped at the Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore visitor's area and walked down onto the beach. The waves were really high - 4-6 feet when we were there. The wind blew across the sand and pelted my skin at times. The water of the lake was warm and the fine sand felt wonderful under my feet. It was a delight to be able to see the Lake again and to walk its shoreline and simply take in the wonderful handiwork of God.
I found myself lifting up prayers of praise and thanksgiving to the God Who formed all that was before my eyes. I could just make out the skyline of Chicago over the horizon of the Lake and I remembered all of the wonderful trips that I have made to that city in my lifetime. I shared with Mari the trip I made with a group of friends up to Lake Michigan on the day after my senior prom. We stayed most of the day climbing the dunes, laughing, and listening to music and then had a bonfire on the beach at the end of the day. As I stood on the shore on Friday, I felt the lake breeze blowing and saw the waves coming ashore. At that moment, I felt as if all was right with the world and with my soul.
Before we left the lake shore, we had dinner in New Buffalo at one of my favorite restaurants. It was nice enough that we were able to sit out on the restaurant's screened-in porch and enjoy the evening and some very good food. It was a delight to me and brought back a whole lot of memories as well as made some new memories as Mari and I caught up with one another.
That time on the lake shore reminded me of the many stories of Jesus in the Gospels that take place around the Sea of Galilee which is really just a big lake. I think Jesus appreciated the beauty of the water and taught, healed, and loved the people along the shorelines. He walked upon the water's surface and calmed the storms that overwhelmed his followers. He fished with his friends and even joined them for a meal along the shore after his resurrection. There was something about the water that drew Jesus and helped him to reveal to the world his power and his love.
So, I'm giving God thanks and praise this evening for the gift of my trip to the lake shore. It was a time of remembering and a time of blessing. It was a time of beauty and a time of renewal. I'm so grateful for my trip and so grateful that I am able to share it with you.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment