Sunday, September 26, 2010

Laughter Is the Best Medicine

Laughter is indeed the best medicine. It can heal my soul in ways that nothing else can.
I was feeling a bit hermit-like this afternoon after I got home from church. Even though the sermon was about going out and serving the community, I felt like I just wanted to go home and veg out. It was a beautiful day and I really wanted to just shut the blinds and watch Netflix movies.
As I was settling in on the sofa, my phone rang. It was my friend Karen. She was running errands and called to say she'd like to stop over for a visit. While I was anxious about the cleanliness of my apartment, I told her to come on over. I scrambled around to pick up a few things in my apartment and made sure the bathroom wasn't too disgusting.
When Karen came over we just sat and talked for a couple of hours. I don't know what it is about our friendship but it's a wonderful thing. We share one another's burdens and continue to catch up with another on the many years that we were apart.
Most of all, we laugh. We share funny stories. We laugh at ourselves for our frail human weaknesses. We laugh about life. We laugh sometimes to keep from crying and sometimes we cry because we are laughing so hard.
By the time Karen left late in the afternoon, I felt much better and even left my blinds open for a while longer. I felt newly energized and glad that Karen had come over for a visit. I felt so blessed and gave thanks to God for reconnecting me with such a wonderful friend. In many ways, I felt healed and delivered from my depressive funk.
God knows that laughter is a form of grace for me. I'm glad that when I'm with good friends like Karen, grace overflows in my life and heart.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment