Thursday, September 16, 2010

Family Recruitment

I have shared with you that a big part of my job at TriState Habitat for Humanity is family recruitment. I have also shared with you that it's been a big concern for me. We have land on which to build and money with which to build but we don't seem to be attracting qualified families for whom to build homes. I sometimes get very frustrated with our efforts. So many of the applications that we do receive are from families with whom we cannot partner. They don't meet our basic qualifications of need for adequate housing, ability to pay a monthly mortgage payment, or a willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity. It is a constant struggle.
For example, so far this year we have had around 400 requests for applications. Of those 400 families who requested applications, 75 families returned their applications. Of the 75 families who returned their applications, so far 3 families have been approved.
I have been making strides in the area of family recruitment though. We have 9,000 fliers going out to students in the City of Hamilton, Ohio schools. We will be having a public application meeting that will hopefully allow us to connect with more families. I also found out today that we will be able to distribute 1,500 fliers to families who have children enrolled in the Head Start program in Butler County Ohio. I also was able to deliver fliers to a food pantry for distribution to their clients in the City of Hamilton, Ohio. In addition, I am planning another public meeting in Clermont County Ohio where we have just obtained more land on which to build. I hope to have these public meetings in other areas.
The process of family recruitment has been very slow. We have a huge service area and recruitment will continue to be a ongoing concern. I just know the families are out there. I just need to find new and more effective ways to reach them.
I ask for your prayers and I continue to search for new ways to reach out to families in need. I know tonight that families will go to sleep in homes are severely sub-standard. I know that TriState Habitat for Humanity can make a difference in their lives. I hope and pray that they will seek us out as we seek them out.
Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment