Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dinner

I was in Oxford, Ohio this evening for an event at a local church there. The event was a free dinner for people in the Oxford community. Each week the dinner is held at a different church in Oxford. Most of the folks who attend are low income families. Each family also has a chance to pick items from a free "dry pantry" which contains things like personal hygiene items and cleaning supplies. People cannot buy these things with their food stamps cards and so each church has a pantry to give these things away each week.
I was invited to the dinner to talk with people about Habitat for Humanity's home ownership program. One of our volunteers suggested that this would be a great way for us to reach families who might qualify as homeowners.
I really enjoyed my time at the dinner. I was impressed by this very simple ministry. The churches simply open their doors to the poor and provide families a time to eat and have fellowship. There is no program. They just told people that I was there to talk to individuals if they were interested in learning more about Habitat for Humanity. Instead, the "program" is the fellowship. The goal is to offer a nutritious meal and some simple household items. The church members scattered themselves throughout the room at each table and chatted with their guests.
I think this is the simple yet powerful ministry that Jesus was often about. Yes, Jesus performed miracles and was the greatest teacher, but some of his most powerful acts took place around the dinner table. He invited himself to Zacheas' home for dinner. He ate with sinners and tax collectors. He gathered his best friends together for one last meal before he was arrested so that they would remember him. Jesus used meal time to teach and simply to be with people.
I am grateful for the chance I had to have dinner tonight with the least of these in Oxford. I could see Jesus working and moving around those tables as stomachs were fed and relationships were renewed. It was a great evening for me to be able to connect with some potential applicants for Habitat for Humanity. However, it was just good to be in fellowship with people of different backgrounds and life experiences. It was good to have dinner together.
I hope you are having a great week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment