Thursday, May 13, 2010

Glee-ful

This week's episode of Glee was again wonderful. I watched last night on Hulu. The writers are definitely back in their groove and are working on developing the characters and the storyline. The music was great. It seemed a little overwhelming with a lot of songs but I loved all the songs. I sometimes wish they would sing the full song but I guess I understand why they don't.
I can't exactly figure out what makes Glee a success. It's not like a musical like High School Musical (which I love). It's not like a variety show. It's not even like MTV although you can see the influence of music videos. One of the things that makes the show so good is that it does not take itself too seriously. No one is above being mocked. No one seems to be the hero. All the characters are flawed and broken. They have good traits and talents and music seems to unite them - but not always. It sometimes causes them to be divided and to be too full of themselves. They are unique and yet always trying to blend in. They want to be noticed and don't want to draw attention to themselves. They sometimes gently care of each other and then the next moment are stabbing one another in the back.
I think that's it. The characters of Glee are wonderful and horrible. They are caring and selfish. They are deep and shallow. They are stereotypes and real. They get it and are clueless. They are talented and amateurs. They are complete and broken. They are human. And communicating, even just a little bit, about the struggles and joys of the human condition is what lifts me up, entertains me, inspires me, and keeps me watching. It makes me Glee-ful.
I hope you are having a great week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment