Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Family

I had the honor and privilege yesterday of calling a family and giving them then news that they had been approved as a new Habitat Partner Family. I love making these calls. Some people cry. Other people whoop and cheer. Others get very quiet and ask me if I am joking. The responses are so varied. Many feel a sense of joy, disbelief, and gratitude all at once.
When I make those calls, I feel so humbled. Those are like spiritual paydays for me. They fill my soul and remind me again of why I do what I do. They help me to move forward when I am buried in paperwork or trying to figure out someone's application documentation.
While the family has often waited for several weeks to receive this good news, I tell them that they are about to have a big lesson in patience as they move forward in the partnership process. They have to begin working on their sweat equity hours. They have to fill out paperwork. They have to attend classes. They have a lot of hoops to jump through before we can even begin construction of their home.
I ask for your prayers for this family and all of our families. Being a Habitat Partner Family is not for the faint of heart. They have to work, take care of their families, participate in Habitat programs, and help to build their home. For many families, this is a very exciting but also very stressful time. Yet, so many of our families amaze me with their incredible spirits and commitments to making their dream of home ownership come true.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment