Monday, May 24, 2010

Why Did the Cattle Cross the Road?

Sometimes life is so interesting it's hard to believe it's real. One of the more interesting things that happened on my quick trip to Tennessee over the weekend happened on our return trip back to Cincy. We were driving along Interstate 75 in Kentucky and saw ahead a police car pulled over on the shoulder along the highway median. There was also another truck stopped behind the police cruiser. I assumed that someone had a flat tire or someone was receiving a speeding ticket. As we got closer to the spot in the road where the two cars were pulled over, we saw something really strange. There were two black bulls grazing on the fresh cut grass of the highway median. When we saw this, both Stacey and I could not believe our eyes. There were these two large bulls calmly grazing as cars sped by them on the Interstate.
I started making all kinds of comments to Stacey about this very strange sight. I wondered if this was Kentucky's way of cutting the grass along the interstate. In the midst of the recession, they had hired the owner of these two bulls to graze and keep the lawn mowed.
I also wondered how in the world these bulls got across two lanes of the Interstate traffic in order to graze. Did they happen to wander across the highway when there was no traffic coming or did they trot across in search of greener pastures? If there were cars coming as they crossed, I wondered what the drivers thought. Can you imagine driving down the road and seeing cattle making their way on the road in front of you? Hitting a deer is bad enough. Hitting a bull would not be pretty.
I also wondered exactly how the animal control staff person and the police officer were going to get these cattle off the highway median and back to their pasture. I'm guessing they would need a trailer and a lasso. I have no idea how this would be done. I'm guess it would have to be done very carefully. I don't imagine that they just shooed them back onto their farm.
I am certainly glad the cattle didn't poop as they crossed the road. That could have been a pretty bad "pile-up" on the Interstate. :) Sorry, I just couldn't resist a little bodily function humor.
I hope you've had a great start to your week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment