Friday, May 7, 2010

Peacocks on the Loose

The other day I was driving to the store and I went through an intersection near my apartment complex. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something that surprised me. I saw what I thought was a peacock. I wasn't sure because I was moving through the interection and only saw it for a moment. When I went back through the intersection later, I did not see any sign of a peacock. The next day, I told my co-workers that I thought I had seen a peacock and I'm pretty sure they doubted what I was saying. Like me, I think they thought that peacocks are not native to Ohio and cannot really live in our climate.
Well, on my way to work this morning, I was listening to the local NPR station on the radio. During the local news report, the reporter started talking about peacock sightings at the same intersection I had seen the peacock. The reporter went on to say that police had checked with local peacock farmers and all of their peacocks were accounted for. I guess this means that peacocks can survive Ohio winters. Who knew there were peacock farmers in Ohio?
The report about the peacocks, which you can read or listen to at http://www.wvxu.org/news/wvxunews_article.asp?ID=7737 , stated that peacock sightings began about a month ago. People called 911 to report their peacock sighthings. I'm not sure why they would call 911. I'm sure these folks understand the concept of an emergency. Some people got out of their cars to shoo the peacocks out of the road.
The story ends by stating that the peacock problem had most likely come to an end. The reason is that people have reported seeing dead peacocks a two intersections near my apartment complex. Thus ends the peacock saga. However, I will keep my eye out for more peacocks. However, I won't be calling 911 to report them.
I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment