Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nature, It's All Over Me!

Nature, it's all over me GET IT OFF!
- Melman the Giraffe, Madagascar

My morning walk was an interesting one today. I usually see birds and hear them singing. I also get to see rabbits scurrying into the tall grass and bushes around my apartment complex. I also usually encounter Canada Geese who leave piles of poop everywhere. They seem to be rather cranky and on edge. I think they might be nesting. I also see cats prowling around. I guess they are hunting for field mice.
Today, I saw two additonal wildlife species that scared me. The first was a skunk that walked out into the road right in front of me. It just stopped, looked at me, then it turned around. I was a very nervous because it raised its tail as it walked away from me. I thought "Oh no. This is not good. I don't really want to be on this end of a skunk." Thankfully, the skunk took off into the field away from me and didn't make a stink about it. :)
The second thing I encountered this morning that scared me a bit was a group of middle school kids. I woke up late and got a late start to my walk. The high school bus had already picked up the older grumpy teens. The middle schoolers were much louder. They giggled and huddled in packs like adolescent wolves. I definitely decided to give them more room than I gave the skunk. I walked to the other side of the street and picked up my walking pace. After a skunk and grouchy geese, I really couldn't handle giggling middle schoolers.
I hope you are having a skunk-free week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment