Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Big Stack of Papers

After being out of the office last week, when I got back in the office on Monday, I was greeted by a big stack of papers. I received applications for our home ownership program. I received additional information that I had requested from applicants. I received information I had requested from some of our Partner Families. It all added up to a big pile of papers.
I made a dent in this stack of papers today. I think I got about half-way through the stack. It was a bit crazy trying to figure out what was going with some of stuff that I had been sent. I returned several phone calls and left several messages with people.
Although it was a bit overwhelming when I faced that big stack of papers, I also realized that each piece of paper represented a family in need of safe, decent, affordable housing. I realized that I have the privilege of serving these families and helping them to move from poverty housing. So, while I was overwhelmed, I jumped right in went to work.
I always take the time to pray before I look at a new application. I pray for the family and their current circumstances. I pray that I will have wisdom as I look at the application. I pray that even if Habitat is not able to help the applicant family, they may know that they are loved. I pray that my interaction with each family will be encouraging and bring them hope in life.
While I don't ever like to send denial letters, I always try to be sure that applicants know that a denial now does not mean a denial forever in our program. I try to refer them to other agencies if I can. I also try to encourage them to apply again if their circumstances change. While Habitat is not for everyone, there are many who just need time to make a few changes in their circumstances and then they may qualify in the future.
I continue to give God thanks and praise for leading me to this work. I thank God for the opportunity I have to serve families in need. I thank God for the lessons that the poor have to teach me. I thank God for this ministry.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment