Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hunting Trolls

I had a nice dinner at my sister Stacey's house tonight. It started out just being my sister, her husband Rob and myself. My nephew Cameron was playing at a friend's house. About half way through dinner, Rob got a call from mother of Cameron's friend. She told Rob that Cameron wanted to come home for dinner because his mom had made corned beef and cabbage and his Uncle Kevin was at his house. Cameron asked his friend's mother to call because he and his friend were busy hunting trolls in the back yard.
So, Rob went to pick up Cameron and brought him back home. It was good to see him. He gets taller every time I see him. He also had a kind of Mohawk looking haircut which I had not seen before. Cameron ate with us and then began getting his bag packed because he was going back over to his friend's home to spend the night.
Cameron asked Stacey what kind of weapons he could use to hunt for trolls with his friend. Stacey suggested his cross bow or toy gun that both shoot marshmallows. Cameron rejected these ideas. He wanted to take a knife. Stacey then suggested he take one of his toy swords. Cameron also rejected this. I think he wanted to take a real knife from the kitchen.
I suggested that maybe trolls were allergic to petroleum products. I meant like oil. Stacey asked me if I was referring to Vaseline. I hadn't thought of that but it would probably be good. I then suggested smearing cucumber melon lotion on a troll might work. I thought that they might be repelled by the smell of cucumbers. Cameron also rejected my ideas.
Cameron then asked Rob and immediately Rob said that trolls have very thick skin and that Cameron would not be able to use a knife to kill them. I'm not sure where he got this information from but it sounded convincing to me. It also seemed to convince Cameron. Rob went on to say that the best way to kill a troll was with blunt force trauma. Again, I have no idea where he gets this stuff. So Rob suggested that Cameron take his mini wooden baseball bats with him. So, Cameron grabbed them from the closet and went off to his friend's house to hunt for trolls.
It really is amazing what you learn when you're with a seven year old.
My friend Karen and I walked nine miles. I misread the schedule and we are backing down on distance and I think next week we walk eleven miles. I brought Gatorade and some trail mix with me and this made a huge difference. We also ended up walking at the mall because it was pretty cold this morning.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment