Thursday, March 24, 2011

An Even Better Day of Learning

I am so grateful for the opportunity to attend the national Habitat for Humanity conference. Today was even better than today for me. Yesterday, I picked up a few new things and found affirmation in what we are already doing in our family services program at TriState Habitat for Humanity. Today I learned a whole bunch of new stuff. I found myself feeling a bit overwhelmed as I tried to take it all in. I'm glad that I can go on the Habitat website for staff and volunteers to find all of the information that has been presented.
One of the best workshops was on diversity in family selection. I realize now that this is an area that we really need to work on at TriState Habitat for Humanity. Our diversity has been very limited and we need to reach out to families in communities that we are not reaching. I'm not sure how this is going to happen but I am determined to figure it out. It feels a bit daunting, but I know that there are families who are in need of safe, decent, affordable housing. I know that I am going to have to overcome some of my own prejudices and assumptions in order for this to happen. I am really going to need God's help in this.
We have one more session tomorrow and then we are headed home. I ask for your prayers for safe travel home. I also ask your prayers for wisdom and endurance as I work to implement what I've learned in my work with TriState Habitat for Humanity.
Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment