Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's

I have been watching classic movies that I have never seen through my Netflix subscription. I just finished watching Breakfast at Tiffany's. I know, it's hard to believe that I've never seen this movie, but I guess it just slipped through the cracks of my cinema watching experience.
There were parts of the movie that I really enjoyed. Audrey Hepburn is beautiful and does a great job as the flighty Holly Golightly. She has an energy and presence on the screen that is unparalleled. I don't know if there is another actress that shines so bright and fills the heart with as much joy as Hepburn.
I found myself squirming a little bit during the scenes with Mickey Rooney as the Japanese neighbor. While Rooney is funny and does his best, I just didn't feel his performance holds up over time. I know you have to put the film in the context of its time but it feels really racist.
I think my favorite part of the movie was Holly's party. I kept laughing at the amazing choreography that had to be developed for all of those people to cram into such a small space. I'm still laughing about Holly's cigarette in the long holder setting fire to the lady's hat and then the fire being put out when the man spills his drink on the woman's hat when someone asks him the time.
I don't know if Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favorite movie from that period, but it was certainly worth watching. It was full of pure entertainment including that wonderful Mancini/Mercer song Moon River. In fact, I think that song and those wonderful lyrics just might sparkle brighter than all of the diamonds in Tiffany's.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment