Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Tudors

I've been watching the Showtime series The Tudors through my Netflix subscription. It's been an enjoyable series to watch for me. I love history and have always been fascinated by the Tudors. They certainly put the fun in dysfunctional. This family is so messed up that I think Jerry Springer would think twice before putting them on his show.
Henry VIII was a narcissistic sex addict. At least that's the way this series portrays him. He went into fits of rage that seem to indicate a kind of bi-polar mental disorder. In this later years he was very sick and paranoid. He bent the interpretation of Scripture to his whim and will and took the whole country with him. He changed the world and the church by embracing Protestant ideas but seemed to be motivated by the most selfish of reasons. He was obsessed with fathering a male heir to the throne and in many ways treated his daughters and wives like dirt.
In some ways, The Tudors feels more like a soap opera. I think if someone told me the story, I would think that he or she was making it up. It's unbelievable in so many ways and yet it all really happened. It is the story of the corruption of absolute power. Henry VIII and his family turned England, the church, and the world upside down and in some ways we still live with that legacy today.

I hope you will continue to join me in praying for the East Coast as Irene causes so much damage and impacts so many lives.
Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment