Monday, June 21, 2010

The Karate Kid

My sister Stacey, my nephew Cameron, and I went to see The Karate Kid today. I went into the movie a little hesitant. The first Karate Kid movie was such an important part of my movie memories. It came out the year that I graduated from high school and was a great feel-good movie.
The new Karate Kid is remade for a whole new generation of movie goers. It has a whole different feel and reflects our times. For one thing, it's set in China. I'm surprised they didn't title it The Kung Fu Kid since that's what Dre learns throughout the course of the movie. Dre and his mom move to China from Detroit because she works for an auto company and they transferred her to China. Jaden Smith is outstanding as Dre. He really seems to have inherited his parents' acting abilities. His energy carries the movie. Jackie Chan is good as Dre's mentor and teacher; however, Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi was wonderful and his performance is head and shoulders above Chan's in my opinion. The filming locations in China were awesome. When Dre is training on top of one of the towers of the Great Wall of China, it is beautiful and really adds to the visual impact of the movie.
Overall, I really enjoyed seeing the new The Karate Kid. It was entertaining and well done. I even got a little teary-eyed during one part. I don't know if it was the memories of the first Karate Kid movie or the story of the current movie. I would highly recommend seeing the movie if you get a chance. I'm glad Stacey and Cameron invited me to go along. I'm also glad that we didn't go see Marmaduke. That was Cameron's first choice but I've heard that is a really bad movie.
Probably the best part of watching the movie was sitting next to Cameron listening to his comments. When Jaden Smith and his love interest in the movie Han Wenwen kiss, Cameron turned to me and said, "That is so NOT cool!" My guess is that some day he may change his mind about that. But for now kissing is gross.
I'm back to work tomorrow. I am looking forward to starting the new work week. It looks like it will be a busy one.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment