Monday, June 28, 2010

Slothful Day

I have been a sloth today. I did manage to shower and make it out to the grocery store. However, other than that, I didn't leave my apartment. I spent most of the day watching Netflix streaming movies online. I should clarify. They weren't really movies they were documentaries. I have been in a documentary kick lately. The great thing about Netflix is that nearly all of the PBS documentaries are available to stream over the Internet. This is why I love Netflix so much!
I watched a three-part documentary on the history of the ancient Greeks. It was truly amazing. I had studied this amazing civilization in history classes, but I guess I had either forgotten what I learned for I didn't learn as much as I thought I did. Either way, the documentary series focused on the city of Athens and how that city-state and its culture influenced so much of its world and continues to influence our world today. I particularly enjoyed the detailed explanation of Athenian democracy and how it came to be. It was a world-changing concept that would have a lasting legacy.
I also watched a four-part documentary entitled Kingdom of David: The Saga of the Israelites. What I liked about this documentary series is that it looked at the Israelites from an historical perspective. The documentary helped me to learn more about the development of modern Judaism. I learned more about the schism that took place between Judaism and Christianity and some of the roots for that schism. I also learned more about the development of the Talmud. It was really enlightening to me.
So, while I was a sloth today. I guess I am now a slightly more educated sloth.
I hope you had a great start to your week. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment