Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Searching for a Church Home

Today I'm asking for your prayers. I feel like I need some guidance in my search for a church home. I shared with you in an earlier post that I feel like I have found a new church home here in Cincinnati. I have visited the church about three times and I am really in tune with the church's mission and ministry focus. I also really enjoy the pastor's sermons and the worship services. The church is alive and vital and facing the future with faithfulness. I feel like there are a lot of ways that I could plug into the church's ministry and share my gifts.
Also, I have an opportunity to be a part of a new church start in the area. I met with the pastor last Saturday and he shared with me a some about the church's vision and focus. I also have read the pastor's vision and core values document and it sounds like a really neat opportunity. I feel like I have gifts to share with this new congregation that is yet to be born. I could be a part of helping to shape the DNA of this new community of faith. Having tried to launch a new church a few years ago in Indiana, I feel as if I could be helpful to this pastor and this new ministry.
So, as you can see, I have a bit of a dilemma. I feel a bit torn. While it's great to have choices, I don't always do well with choices. I like to have a clear path before me. For example, when I was looking for an apartment it took me months of searching before I found a place that felt right. While most people find an apartment complex in their price range and sign the lease, I need to be sure that I like the people working in the office, I have a good feeling about the community, and I am able to walk through the apartment I will rent in order to get a feeling for the space. It's exhausting but that's who I am. It all has to feel right before I will sign the lease.
So, in another sign that God has a sense of humor, I now have two wonderful choices for a church home. While I recognize that I can always change if the church I choose doesn't work out for me, I would like to get connected soon with a faith community and stick with it if at all possible. The only people I know in Cincinnati right now are the people I work with and my family. I am ready to connect to friends who will help me grow in my faith and hold me accountable. I am ready to be a bit more rooted than I feel I am right now. I am ready to invest my gifts and my life in a community along side fellow Christians.
So, I ask for your prayers. I know whatever I choose God will lead me and guide me. I know that I am blessed to have such wonderful choices. I guess I would like some assurance that I am taking the path that God wants for my life and not what Kevin wants. I want to make sure that it feels right before I sign the lease.
Thanks for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment