Saturday, June 19, 2010

Road Trip to Muncie

I had a great road trip to Muncie today. It started out rainy but ended up being a wonderful sunny day on which to travel. It was so good to see my friends Dan, Deceil, and Ellie. I can't believe how much Ellie has grown since I last saw her. She is getting so grown up and it was a joy to hear a bit about school and church and life with her. I also enjoyed so much just talking and catching up with Dan and Deceil. We laughed and told stories and had a very nice time together. Now that I'm only two hours from Muncie, I hope that we can connect more often.
I also really enjoyed getting to see the Ball State campus again. It has changed so much since I was last there and a whole lot since I was a student there way back in the 1980's. Many of the buildings have been renovated and much of the grounds have gotten a much needed face lift. I was even amazed at the way the "Duck Pond" looked. When I was a student, it was little more than a dirty retention pond. Today I noticed they have landscaped around it and even have some nice places to sit around it. I am still not sure that I really like the huge bell tower in the middle of McKinley Street that runs through the campus. I know it's been around for several years, but to me it looks like it was a huge waste money that could have been spent more wisely on student scholarships. This is just my humble opinion.
I was also able to stop by one of the bookstores off campus and pick up a couple of new Ball State T-shirts. My current Ball State wardrobe was looking pretty ragged. Along with this, I drove by College Avenue United Methodist Church which used to house the Wesley Foundation campus ministry. It looks like they have renovated parts of the building. The outside doors definitely look different. Seeing this building brought back a lot of memories for me. This was a building in which I both lived as well as grew greatly in my faith. It's where I wrestled with God as I considered going into ministry. It's where I stayed up late many nights talking with friends including my friends Dan and Deceil.
I'm glad I was able to make it up to Muncie. It was a good day and a huge blessing to me.
I hope you are having a good weekend. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment