Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Looming Storm - Oooh, Scary

Starting late tonight, a winter storm is supposed to be moving through the Cincinnati area. They are saying that the region could get anywhere from 2-7 inches depending on which local news station you watch.
I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from the office tonight. This was a big mistake. I had to park clear out on the edge of the parking lot and there were almost no shopping carts available. People were stocking up on milk, bread and probably toilet paper. I'm not sure about the toilet paper because I didn't go down that aisle. I can say that it was nothing less than chaotic at the store. I also noticed that there were hardly any potato chips left. I guess if you're going to be trapped in your house by 4 inches of snow then you need potato chips.
I find all of the panic and hubbub rather embarrassing. I come from Northern Indiana which is lake effect snow country. School in my hometown of Mishawaka was almost never cancelled. Snow days were rare. On Monday, my nephew Cameron had a snow day from school in West Chester, Ohio and we hardly got any snow here. Of course, it's not quite as bad as Tennessee where all they have to do is predict snow and the entire state shuts down.
The most dangerous thing about winter here in Cincinnati is that people don't know how to drive in snow. They have no clue and so it's probably better if they do stay home and off the roads. They can drink their gallons of milk and eat their loaves of bread and potato chips that they have hoarded.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment