Monday, December 13, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

It's been quite a weekend for me that is just ending this Monday night. I traveled on Saturday morning to Mishawaka, Indiana (my home town) for the visitation and funeral of my friend Ian's dad. Thanks to my friend Mari who let me stay at her home and fed me and watched movies with me.
Ian, his wife Sheri, and I all grew up on the same block in Mishawaka. My family moved to Mishawaka when I was about 4 years old and I guess I've known Ian since then. Sheri's family moved into the neighborhood when I was around twelve years old. They built a house on the vacant lot on our block. (I'm still not over this but that is a story for another day.)
I used to occasionally be a sub on the paper route through our neighborhood and I have fond memories of doing the paper route with Ian. I will never forget the hot summer afternoons when we would take a break along the paper route and get a can of pop for 10 cents at the gas station that was at the corner of Lincoln Way and Delorenzi Avenue. Those were good times.
I did a lot of thinking on the drive home today about growing up in my neighborhood. I don't know if there are neighborhoods like that any more. Times are certainly different people don't seem to know their neighbors any more. I know this is true for me. I'm not even sure if I would recognize all of the people who live in my apartment building.
I invite you to join me in praying for Ian and Sheri and their family. I know the coming days and weeks will be hard especially during this holiday season.
I also finished up my writing class tonight. There's more to share about that but I'm tired and ready for bed.
Thank you for your prayers and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment