Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Missing Advent

This season of Advent has been a strange one for me. There has not been much of a rhythm to the season for me this year. In many ways, I felt like I missed the season entirely.
I started out on the first Sunday in Advent in St. Louis. I was on vacation and staying with my friends' Sheri and Ian. I am always grateful for Ian and Sheri's hospitality when I visit and I always enjoy attending worship with them. While they did light the first Advent candle during the service at Sheri and Ian's church, we didn't sing any Advent hymns. It happened to be the last Sunday for their church's Director of Christian Education. The sermon and service was good but the focus really wasn't Advent it was more on giving the DCE a chance to say "goodbye". I could tell that there was a real sense of grief in the air as the congregation said "farewell" to a beloved staff member who had a wonderful ministry at this church.
On the second Sunday of Advent, I had planned to go to my church and get into the spirit of the season a bit more. I knew they would be celebrating Advent in a big way with special music and a sermon about waiting and preparing. However, I ended up going to church with my friend Karen at her church. Again, the service and music were wonderful but this church really doesn't do Advent at all. It's a church that really tries hard to reach out to the unchurched and I guess Advent is not cool with the unchurched. I never really quite got that in all of the church growth books I read but I guess this is what reaches people. How can you argue with a church with five services filled to capacity attracting thousands of people each week?
On the third Sunday of Advent, I was in South Bend for my friend Ian's dad's funeral. It was good to be back in my home town of Mishawaka and I even got to make a visit to my home church for the funeral dinner. On this weekend, I attended church with my friend Mari at her church. I have been to this church many times and I really like it. You can always hear great preaching and good music. This particular Sunday was no different. It was all great. We even got to hear a drum solo accompanying the Hallelujah Chorus. There was also a jazz singer who did some wonderful renditions of Christmas carols. However, this church does not really do Advent either. Again, it's hard to argue with multiple services that attract thousands of people. I really enjoyed it but there was nothing to really mark the season of waiting and expectation that I have come to know and love.
On the fourth Sunday of Advent, I was finally able to attend my church in Cincinnati. It was a wonderful service. The choir sang some amazing pieces. The hand bells played. The congregational singing was great and we got to sing some wonderful Christmas carols from the hymnal. However, there were no Advent hymns sung during the service. No Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus (my favorite Advent hymn) no O Come, O Come Emmanuel no People Look East Like most churches that do celebrate Advent, by the fourth Sunday of Advent my church was in full Christmas mode. While they did take the time to light the Advent Candles, we sang Joy to the World and O Come All Ye Faithful as congregational hymns. It was a wonderful service. I was grateful that the pastor did focus on the theme of waiting during Advent in his sermon. However, I also found myself feeling just slightly disappointed because I felt rushed into celebrating Christmas when I was not ready for it.
However, it hit me today that in the midst of this wonderful season, I somehow missed it. I know it's not about lighting Advent candles. I know it's not about my traditions. I know it's not about my agenda. I guess I missed it because I wasn't really paying attention to the signs all around me of God's presence and love. I did not feel a sense of hope and expectation because I chose not to embrace the hope and expectation of the season wherever I found myself.
On the first Sunday of Advent in St. Louis, I kept thinking that it was poor timing for this to be the farewell sermon and service for the Christian Education Director at Sheri and Ian's church. I thought Advent should start off on a high note that is full of expectation. However, what I failed to remember is that Jesus came into the world in God's perfect timing and that had little to do with the world's timing or plans. Jesus was born to a poor couple who couldn't even get a decent room at an inn. He came at a very inconvenient time and while some, like the shepherds rejoiced, others like King Herod were threatened by Jesus because he challenged the status quo and power structure of his day. There was even a foreshadowing of grief at his miraculous birth as the Magi brought spices used to prepare bodies for burial. Even then, his death and sacrifice seemed to be looming ahead of him.
On the second Sunday of Advent, I should have been more grateful for being able to worship with my friend Karen rather than worried about seeing people light Advent candles. Reconnecting with Karen has been a huge blessing in my life this year. It is by God's grace that our paths have been allowed to cross again. To worship with my sister in Christ was a joy and I should have really let God know that in my praise that morning. Instead, I kept hoping we would at least sing a Christmas carol.
On the third Sunday of Advent, I should have been more grateful just to worship God with my friend Mari. She is a wonderful blessing in my life and did not hesitate when I asked her at the last minute if I could stay with her in order to attend Ian's dad's funeral. While Mary and Joseph couldn't get a room, I have a friend who always has a room ready for me. I have a friend who allows me to invade her home and who offers me gracious hospitality and who loves me in spite of my weirdness. During a very busy season, Mari made time for me. It reminds me of how much I need to make time for Jesus in my life and journey. I get busy doing and I don't take the time simply to be in God's presence.
On the fourth Sunday of Advent, I felt like even the church was rushing me along to the manger. I was dragging my heals and trying to make up for what I saw as three lost weeks of Advent. However, what I also need to remember is that Christ comes into the world whether I am ready for Him or not. Jesus came, is coming, and will come into the world and my job is simply to prepare my heart as best I can. I do not know the time or the place. I am commanded to be ready at all times, in all circumstances.
So, as I reflect upon this Advent season, I am really glad it unfolded as it did. I have learned some things about myself and about my expectations of church, of worship, and of God. As much as I would like to think it's all about me, I know that it is not. I just forget that most days. I have also been reminded through this season of waiting and hope that God has surrounded me with good friends in my life who make this journey grace-filled for me. They love me and put up with me and they sometimes even put me up. They listen to me whine and help me to laugh. They feed me and play games with me and watch movies with me. They are signs of God's loving presence in my life. I don't deserve it, but in their friendship and support, I continue to experience the love and grace of Jesus. They remind me that God is real and present with me along my journey. And in the end, that's what Advent is really all about. Whether it's in a worship service, in singing a Christmas carol, or talking over a good meal with friends, Advent is a season to once again be reminded that Jesus is Emmanuel - God with us.
Thank you for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment