Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today I began my new job at TriState Habitat for Humanity. I had just moved from Oak Ridge, Tennessee the week before and I was living with my sister Stacey and brother-in-law Rob. Besides them, I didn't know anyone else in Cincinnati.
I remember feeling both very excited and also somewhat anxious. I knew the first week would be full of orientation and just learning my way around. While I was doing the same job as I had been in Tennessee, each Habitat affiliate does things differently. Also, I knew that I was moving to a much larger affiliate that served many more families than my previous affiliate. I wondered to myself if I would ever be able to keep up. It seemed both overwhelming and like a wonderful challenge that I was ready to face.
After one year of working at TriState Habitat for Humanity, I feel filled with gratitude for so many things. I am grateful for a team of people who support me and who share their incredible gifts to help those in need. I am grateful to be working for an organization that respects my talents and the experience that I bring to the table. I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to help families move from living in substandard housing to a safe, decent, affordable home that they own.
What a difference a year makes. It is only by God's grace that I am here. God continues to pour out grace upon grace in new and powerful ways. In the past year I have found healing. I have found community. I reunited with friends. I have been able to experience God's love in new and powerful ways.
I am living a dream. I get to be in ministry. I get to serve the poor. I get to work with an awesome team. I get to wake up every morning and go to a job that I love. This makes all the difference in the world in my life and in my heart. I give God thanks for leading me to TriState Habitat for Humanity. I give God thanks for the gift of this past year.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment