Monday, November 15, 2010

Writing Class - Session 3

I had another great session in my creative writing class tonight. We did a very difficult exercise that really caused me to struggle. We had to write an eight sentence paragraph and each sentence had to vary from all the others in some way. Here's the breakdown:

1. A sentence using natural word order (subject-verb).
2. A sentence using inverted word order (verb-subject).
3. A sentence beginning with two adverbs.
4. A sentence beginning with a prepositional phrase.
5. A sentence ten words in length.
6. A sentence that includes dialogue.
7. An exclamation.
8. A sentence that includes a simile.

Keep in mind this is my first stab at this exercise and I wrote it in about fifteen minutes during class. Here's what I wrote:

He thought he had been awakened from a dream as he rolled over and pulled the blankets up. Fiercely and mournfully the winter winds howled outside the house. Large snowflakes moved from tree branches to snow drift to fencepost like dancers in the frigid night air. Then he heard what must have awakened him moments earlier. Over the moaning winter wind he heard a knock on the heavey wooden front door of the house. So groggy was he that he nearly stumbled down the stairs to the door. As he yanked the door open, the person who had been pounding on the door said, "There's been an acident and we need you. Hurry!"

One of our assignments this week is to write two pages of the short story that we are going to present for our final project. I'm feeling a little anxious about this. We have to share it with the class. I'll let you know how it goes as things progress.
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment