Thursday, January 20, 2011

Alien Nation

I'm watching the television series from the late 1980's called Alien Nation through my Netflix subscription. I remember when the show first aired. I really liked the movie that the series is based on. The television show is pretty good. The corny humor is a little over the top and it's kind of hard to block out the late 1980's fashion, but overall, the concept is one that both fascinates me and makes me think. I read that the SyFy Channel is going to produce an updated version of the show. If it's anything like the updated version of Battlestar Gallactica, I will really look forward to that.
One of the main points of the show is the constant conflict created by how human beings deal with those who are different than they are. There are a lot of parallels made to race relations in this country. And while many people try to say that this is not an issue any more, it really is. We don't talk about it in polite company but it's an issue with which most Americans struggle in some way. In fact, I wonder how different the dialogue about our immigration policy would be if we were not so afraid to have an honest and open dialogue about race in the United States.
For example, I just was talking today on the phone with someone who was interested in TriState Habitat for Humanity's home ownership program. The potential applicant was concerned that she might have neighbors who were of a different race than she is if she were accepted into our program and we partnered with her to build a house. She said, "I'm not prejudiced. I just don't want to live next to 'those people.'
When I was serving in the local church, all of the congregations I served were nearly all white. I remember several times when some very faithful church members shared with me their extremely racist attitudes. They saw no conflict in expressing hatred for African Americans or Hispanics. These were the same people who were Christ-like in so many other parts of their lives, but they were not afraid to express all kinds of derogatory things or fears of those who were of a different race than they were.
All of this also causes me to reflect on my upbringing. I was raised in a nearly all-white city. Diversity was not celebrated. It was avoided at all costs. Along with this, the attitudes of my family and my neighbors certainly did not help me to appreciate the diversity of the human family. I was taught to fear most Black people and avoid places where large numbers of people who were not white lived because it was not safe for me to go there. This makes me really sad when I think about it. I wonder how my attitudes about race as an adult would be different had I been regularly exposed to those who were different than I am when I was growing up.
So, in spite of the bad wardrobe, I am really enjoying watching the Alien Nation series. It gets me thinking and reflecting on the state of our nation and the state of my own attitudes about race. I'm grateful for the opportunity to watch this series. For me, a mark of good entertainment is that it not only entertains but makes me think and Alien Nation certainly accomplishes both of these goals for me.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment