Thursday, January 27, 2011

Creative Writing Class

I had the first session of my creative writing class tonight. This is the second in a series of three classes. It was good to see three other people in the class from my last class. I enjoyed seeing them and catching up with them.
The class went pretty well. We did several exercises to help us think in new ways about the words we use and the way we write. These were good exercises for me to do because I often get lazy when I write. I tend to use the same sentence structure and words. I don't always think about different ways of expressing my ideas.
One of the exercises we did was to write a 55 word short story. The first thing I discovered is that 55 words is not very many words to express a whole story. It was really tough. Everyone else in the class seemed to get it. I felt like I missed the mark.
We have a homework assignment to write at least two pages. I plan to add two pages to the longer piece I have been working on. I'm interested in getting feedback from my classmates on my new story. I am hoping it will develop into a much longer piece - maybe even a novel. We will see. I'll update you as things progress on my story.
I'm now headed to bed. It's been a very long but good day. Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment