Saturday, January 22, 2011

The King's Speech

I went to see the movie The King's Speech this afternoon. I have heard a lot about it. I know that the buzz is that Colin Firth, who plays King George VI, has a very good chance of being nominated for and winning the Academy Award for Best Actor. If he does win, it will be well deserved. I am surprised that Geoffrey Rush hasn't been getting more Oscar buzz. He gives a wonderful performance in the film as well.
Now, I must confess that I am a bit of an Anglo-phial. I really like movies about England especially about English royalty. I'm not sure why, but I find these people fascinating. Maybe it's because they led such interesting lives. Maybe because so many of them were bigger than life. Maybe it's because I want to get a peek inside the cloistered lives of the very wealthy and privileged. While I don't think I would really want to be in their shoes, I do find it interesting to see how people who are born into these circumstances deal with it all.
I knew very little about George VI before watching the movie. I knew that he became King after his brother Edward abdicated the throne to marry an American divorcee. I think I need to do so more reading about why Edward was essentially forced to renounce his throne and all its privileges. The movie mentioned that it had to do something with the fact that the monarch of England is also head of the Church of England and the Church of England could not condone divorce. This seems especially strange since Henry VIII broke away from the Catholic Church and declared himself the head of the Church of England because the Pope would not grant him a divorce.
Anyway, George VI comes off as a very sympathetic character. He has a stammering problem and this causes great problems for one who has to do a lot of public speaking. What I think makes the movie so good is the relationship between the King and his speech therapist Lionel Logue, played by Geoffrey Rush. While it's a bit hard to believe that they were really pals because of the strict class system in England at the time, but it is clear that the therapist made a huge impact upon the King's life. They play off of one another very well and each one is able to teach the other something about life. The scene in which George VI gives his speech, from whence the title comes, is like a symphony. George puts all of his lessons into practice and Logue stands before him like a conductor encouraging him to press forward to communicate with his people at the beginning of what would become World War II.
I think the main message that came through to me after watching the film is that all of us need the support and encouragement of others in some way. George VI did not get much, if any, from his parents and his brother Edward. However, he was able to discover it from Elizabeth, his wife, and from Logue, his teacher.
Along with this, I think the film also reminds the audience of the gift that teachers give to the world. They not only pass on knowledge but the really good teachers believe in us and show us a more excellent way in life. They reveal to us new things about ourselves and the world around us. They are able to help us see how the knowledge that they pass on impacts our lives. My guess is, most everyone can name at least one teacher who made a difference in his or her life.
So, if you're looking for a movie that will inspire you, I would highly recommend The King's Speech. It's a wonderful story that is told through amazing performances.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment