Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Snow Keeps Falling in Northern Indiana

I received a call from my friend Mari who lives in South Bend, Indiana around NOON today. She said that as of that time they had received about 30 inches of snow where she lives.
I checked the South Bend Tribune website and found this article
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20110108/News01/110109687/1130 reporting that South Bend had already set a single-day snow fall record at 1:00 PM today of 23.6 inches. This breaks the old record of 20 inches set in 1909. The article goes on to say that South Bend may break the state record of 33 inches of snow over a 24 hour period.
I had always thought that the Blizzard of 1978 was the greatest amount of snowfall received in South Bend but the total snowfall total was 27.1 inches over the course of four days. What made the '78 Blizzard so bad was the extremely high winds that caused a lot of drifting.
When I read this reference about the Blizzard of '78, my mind flooded with all kinds of wonderful memories. That was the day of our school crossing guard roller skating party and it got canceled due to the storm. I remember that we got some days off school and played games with our neighbors. I'll never forget tunneling a path to shovel the sidewalks and the huge snow drifts against our house in Mishawaka.
The article also stated that the hardest hit area was around the intersection of the Indiana Toll Road and the US 31 Bypass. That's not far from where I used to live west of South Bend in Lydick. I remember many years of shoveling the driveway of the parsonage there. While I empathize with the folks of the South Bend area, I'm glad that I'm not there to have to dig out.
We didn't really get any more snow here in Cincinnati today. I saw a few flakes but nothing really significant. I think Northern Kentucky got a bit more than we did north of Cincinnati. Maybe I'm getting old but I think I prefer our Cincinnati winter so far to Northern Indiana's.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment