Friday, January 21, 2011

Dead Battery

It got really cold here in the Cincinnati area over night. Most of the schools in the area were cancelled for a second day in a row. I didn't pay that much attention to the weather last night before going to bed. They said the temperature was going to drop and I was just glad it wasn't one of my days to walk. Well, when I woke up it was 8 degrees and with the windchill it felt even colder.
I went through my morning routine and bundled up to head out to my car. I got in my car to start it up and it wouldn't start. It kind of groaned and then nothing else happened. I called my Dad to ask him advice on what I should do. When it comes to cars, I am clueless.
I called my friend Karen who graciously came to my apartment and picked me up and took me to work. She was a real blessing to me. She also ran me to the bank at lunch time. (Today was pay day for us.) Then she dropped me off back at home at the end of the day.
After work, my brother-in-law Rob and nephew Cameron came over to my apartment and Rob jumped my car. We got it started and then I drove it to the car repair shop. Thankfully they were able to get my car in to take a look at it right away. Rob waited while they did the repairs and Cameron was very patient while they waited although I think he was bored.
They determined that I needed a new battery. They had one in stock and were able to install it right then. I was on my way in about an hour.
I have been feeling very grateful this evening for all of the ways in which God took care of me today. I really panic when something goes wrong with my car. Without transportation, I feel helpless. However, God made a way and helped me to move beyond my panic.
I was forced to reach out to others and ask for help which I don't like to do. I like to think of myself as self-sufficient. I want to be independent and live life on my own terms. But that is not how God meant for us to live. As much as I like to lead a hermit-like life, I recognized again today that I need community. I need the support of others to make it in life.
I needed the guidance that my Dad gave to me about what I should do about my car. I needed my friend Karen to get me back and forth to work and the bank. I needed my brother-in-law Rob to come and jump my car. I needed the expertise of the mechanics at the repair shop to figure out what the problem was. I needed all of these people just to make it through this one day. I thank God that each one of them were willing to help me and remind me that I don't have to do life alone.
So, on this cold winter's night, I'm thankful for my new battery and a car that runs. I'm thankful for friends and family who love me enough to help me. I'm grateful that there are people who love to work on cars and fix things. I'm grateful for the job that I have that allows me to earn money to pay the bill for the repairs. I'm grateful for the lessons that God taught me through the dead battery.
Thanks for being a part of my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment